What does it mean to be a Mentor?
Mentors are Mizzou alumni and friends who are willing to provide advice, based on their own experience, to current Mizzou students.
Keys to success as a mentor:
- Encourage two-way communication and schedule uninterrupted time.
- Act as a sounding board.
- Maintain confidentiality and establish an environment for open interaction.
- Provide non-judgmental, sincere and straightforward feedback.
- Serve as a role model to demonstrate professional behavior.
- Recommend appropriate strategies for personal and professional development.
- Provide support and understanding for the mentee's experiences.
- Challenge the mentee's ideas and assumptions to help the mentee grow personally and professionally.
- Help the mentee create a vision and perspective of oneself and future career path.
- Assist the mentee in making new connections.
- When appropriate, may take on the role of a "sponsor" and help the mentee pursue specific opportunities.
How it works
– Bob Proctor
A mentor is someone who sees more than you see
in yourself, more talent and ability within
you, and helps bring it out of you.